Venture capital rating site TheFunded released their 2009 “most loved VCs” list via TechCrunch Tuesday — with a surprise, in that they actually had some Southern California venture capitalists ranked on the list.
The SoCal folks I noticed on the list:
2. Mark Suster, Partner at GRP Partners, rated 4.8571 by 7 CEOs
23. Mark S. Menell, Partner at Rustic Canyon Ventures, rated 4.3333 by 12 CEOs
49. Stuart MacFarlane, Managing Director at Momentum Venture Management, rated 4.1667 by 6 CEOs
53. Michael Kim, Partner at Rustic Canyon Ventures, rated 4.1538 by 13 CEOs
84. David Min, Principal at Steamboat Ventures, rated 4 by 5 CEOs
To some degree, these lists are mostly useful as a rating of how “friendly” a VC is to listening to your deal, and on how well their “you’ve-got-a-good-idea-but-we’re-not-interested” skills are–plus what portion of their deals actually have rated them in TheFunded. I’m surprised ANY VCs end up on this list–not because they’re not great folks, but because they’ve got to tell 99% of the entrepreneurs they meet that their particular VC deal just isn’t for them, without getting them bent out of shape (not an easy task).