The Silicon Alley Insider has weighed in on its list of “50+ most valuable startups“, and suprisingly, they didn’t neglect Southern California.
Facebook was tops, but local companies highlighted in the list:
4. NewEgg (est worth $3.2B) – City of Industry
10. Demand Media ($1.3B) – Santa Monica
16. Oversee.net ($1B) – Los Angeles
23. Hulu ($750M) – Los Angeles
24. eHarmony ($700M) – Pasadena
29. ReachLocal ($450M) – Woodland Hills
55. Spot Runner ($80M) – Los Angeles
58. OpenX ($45M) – Pasadena
Interestingly enough, two companies on the list (NewEgg and Demand Media) were ranked well above media darling Twitter (at #15, just above Oversee.net). Of course, you’re only worth what someone is willing to pay for you — which is through an IPO or M&A—so it’s all just speculation.